Thursday, October 8, 2015

Song Breakdown: Locked Away

One of my favorite radio stations to listen to, and the one that I have been listening to the longest, is Z102.9, KZIA, Cedar Rapids.  It has been around as long as I can remember, and is very popular.  I went to their website today, and found their hot 30 list for this week. (Linked here if you would like to check it out. http://www.kzia.com/hot30/)

I was looking at the countdown, and one of my favorite songs currently holds the number 3 spot.  It's "Locked Away" by R. City, featuring Adam Levine.  (Video here is you haven't heard it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GUm5g8SG4o )  I really like this song, because I think it has a really good meaning, and its a really catchy song.  And who doesn't love Adam Levine's voice?

When the song begins, Levine starts singing the chorus.  It's asking if things were different, would you still love me the same? If I showed you my imperfections, or couldn't be strong, would you still love me the same? I think this is really cool to think about, because in my opinion, love should be unconditional.  It shouldn't depend on current situations.

In the next verse, R. City comes in and begins singing.  This verse is mainly saying "If I can't always be with you, and be perfect for you, would you still stay with me?"  I feel this is important, because nobody is perfect, and if that is what a person is expecting, they're going to spend a lot of time looking, and most likely come up empty handed.  This verse is also saying "Would you do anything for me, no matter what?" This is questionable for me, or at least my take from it.  It's a good question, because I would want my partner to always be there for me. On the other hand, it's asking a lot, and later in the song, R. City goes on to say he is looking for somebody that is low maintenance.  It seems sort of like a double standard in my opinion.

Levine's chorus plays again, then it's back to R. City. This time, he is describing the type of girl he wants. It sounds to me like he wants somebody who is low matenience, and won't expect expensive or fancy things. He wants a girl that will love him no matter what, and will accept him for who he is, not what he has.  I believe that all people should think like this, because situations may change, but people don't. And we should look beyond what a person has. You should love them for who they are.  

I really enjoy this song as it has a really mellow feel to it, and I like the meaning. I'm a sucker for a good love song, and this one has a good meaning to it. I highly suggest you check it out. 

Here's the link I used to look at the lyrics. Feel free to take a look for yourself. http://www.directlyrics.com/r-city-locked-away-lyrics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment