Sunday, November 1, 2015

Punk Goes Pop

Music can be spun many different ways.  There isn't a right way or a wrong way, and there are many different things you can do with one song.  One way that has been around for a while is "covering" a song, or another artist performing a song originally made by another artist.  Recently, I have come to be interested in a series of albums titled "Punk goes Pop."  On these albums, a few different punk groups take popular pop songs, such as "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift, "Glad You Came" by The Wanted, and "Animals" by Maroon 5, and turn them into punk songs.  There are currently six albums released, the first one in April of 2001, and the most recent in July of 2015.  I am more familiar with the newer albums, but am interested in looking into the previous ones as well.

I've never been a huge fan of punk music, but I do listen to it on occasion, just like all kinds of music.  There's that mood that you get into, and you really want to hear a certain kind of music.  I never really knew what was good when I wanted to listen to punk music, so I just kinda put on a Pandora station and went with it.  I had a good friend of mine introduce me to Punk Goes Pop, and I fell in love.  The new spin on the songs are really cool, and very different to hear.  Its also nice to be able to recognize the lyrics, and if you're like me, attempt to sing along.  It is also nice because none of the covers are too hardcore, or too much "screaming" if that's what you choose to call it.  They are a decent sound, and they have a good range on the albums as well.

I really like hearing the songs that I hear every day on the radio in such a different way.  It helps me to not get sick of them, and keep me listening to them more. I wish that they would be played on the radio, I think that that would be interesting.  But in the same light, I see that it would be hard for radio stations to do this because they have regulations on how often they can play a song, and it wouldn't really fit into their genre of music.  I do believe that this would become much more popular, however.

I highly encourage you to look into this and discover something new.  You might find that you like it, just like I did.  Below are some links to my favorite covers.  If you want more, head over to YouTube and search "Punk goes Pop," a lot will come up for you.

Blank Space by I Prevail (Originally by Taylor Swift)
Glad You Came by We Came As Romans (Originally by The Wanted)
Somebody That I Used to Know by Mayday Parade (Originally be Gotye)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment